Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Man on the Corner

For the last two years, I have watched an older man play guitar on the street corner by my house. He is there every day with his stuffed monkeys and a smile on his face. I have heard people say that this man is homeless, begging for money, and adding to the decay of our race. But I happen to know a few things about this person...

Though I do not know his name, I do know where he lives. And it is nicer than my place! He has also never asked for money. I have seen things to make me think he is a retired Vet, but I don't know for certain. The gentleman only wants to play for people. That is all. As people drive by the busy street, he merely waves, flashes a peace sign, and continues playing.

As a family member and I were driving past the other day, the man was out again, in literally dumping rain, still playing his guitar and smiling for us all. My passenger looked at him and said, "Wouldn't it be funny if that man was some sort of Angel or Divine Soul." Truth be known, he probably is. All those people pass him day in and day out, thinking he is begging for their 'hard earned money' when they are refusing to see what is so clearly standing before them.

So many people wish someone or something would come in and change the world, yet there is a man on my block doing just that. He may not be super wealthy, or dress in the latest fashions, but he always has a smile and a tune waiting for you. Isn't that--not following in what society says he 'should' be doing--changing the world?

Just a thought! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment