Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Norwescon 34

This last weekend I attended Norwescon 34 and feel like such an oober! :-) I had the best time, met some of the greatest people, and learned a lot... I just never realized there were writers workshops there! I thought it would be fun to go see people dressed like Klingon's and fairies.

The first day I got there too late to go to the panels for writers, but the next day I tried to hit every one I could. Not only did I get to meet published authors, but I also got great advice and feedback from them. I have to say, I am so excited and happy I went.

Of course, all my friends, including my husband, thought I wanted to go 'for' these writing events. So when I announced to them that I found all these writing panels, they looked at me like, "is she nuts, or kidding...?" Sadly, I fit nicely into the nutty category. But oh well! :-) I got to attend, and that is the best part.

The authors offered absolute pearls of wisdom. For as long as I have been sending queries, it is only now that I have learned my story is sci fi with light romance. I thought it fit more into the paranormal genre, NOT SO MUCH! :-) I had been totally wrong. It seems the online sites for getting genre info. don't go into much detail.

For instance; I wrote about a person who can see ghosts, but because she doesn't interact with them and they are explained scientifically, the novel is sci fi. Another main part of the story is about falling in love, that is just not the main part. So romance is part of the genre,  just light romance.

I am so thankful to all the authors who worked with me this past weekend, thank you all so much! :-)

1 comment:

  1. How awesome! WHEN you get your story published (little postive thinking never hurt! ;) blog about it and I'll check it out! <3

    ReplyDelete